SOWN Saturday Surgery - 24th November 2007
Below is a list of jobs and people I can think of to do them. Feel free to assign yourself to the ones you are interested in even if you don't know how to do them. If there is someone there who knows then I'm sure theycan help. Since this is a workshop can I please ask people to bring laptops if they have them to work on.
- form to accept / reject node requests.
- local survey of sites for first few home nodes. - DONE
- James can provide GPS so netstumbler can record coverage, GPS Visualiser can map it
- 802.11a testing - 2 to 4 people depending on what stage.
Our cards cannot do more that 17db tx-power which with a 9db aerial makes 24 whish 250mw (less than SOWN-SUSU). We should consider ordering 2 of: http://www.echotechwireless.com/XR5_UBIQUITI_NETWORKS_WIRELESS_MINI_PCI_ADAPTER_80_p/xr5.htm and some more 5.8Ghz suited pigtails.
Doing the testing down the Vista Corridor with 2 nodes and 2 CM9 cards we got a 36Mb/s link with tx-power 17dbm. This was achieved with Link Quality 18/70 / Signal Level -71dbm / Noise Level= -89dbm
- initial multicast tests. - Dave T
- acceptance emails for home nodes.- Dave N
- Draw up contract for people to sign when they take a node. - Dave N
- Network Topology Maps. - Dave T
- SOWN Report. Paul D, Dave T
- flashing and range testing of Meraki outdoor nodes. - Others + (Paul D, James M)
Flashed but not tested.
So plenty of stuff then. Anyone think of any more?
Other Tasks Complete
- IPv6 address on 6core,nat,devel
Refer to the new network diagram for more. In Brief:
- SOWN Prefix: 2001:630:d0:f700::/52
- Servers: 2001:630:d0:f700::/64
- VPN Subnet: 2001:630:d0:f780::/53
The servers are numbered as they are with IPv4 on the SOWN VLAN e.g. 10.13.0.254 = 2001:630:d0:f700::254
- IPv6 forward and reverse in DNS
- Delegate Node Management to a new user group.
This adds a group of admins who can manage the nodes but do not have access to the DPA relavent pages.
- SUSU logging to central server