SOWN installs Nagios Remote Process Executor (NRPE) on almost all its servers
On Ubuntu NRPE can be installed withe the following packages.
apt-get install nagios-nrpe-server nagios-plugins-basic nagios-nrpe-plugins
Configuration settings are installed to /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg. Rather than modifying these files modifications should be made in /etc/nagios/nrpe_local.cfg. Historically other than the generic check definitions already in nrpe.cfg, all checks have been added to nrpe_local.cfg. However, new servers (such as Sown-radius2 and Sown-vpn2) check definitions have been broken down into a number of files found in /etc/nagios/nrpe.d/ directory.
Bespoke Check Scripts
If a check requires a bespoke script that does not come as part of the nagios-plugins-basic and nagios-nrpe-plugins scripts installed in /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/, then these should be installed in /usr/local/lib/nagios/plugins. These include:
- check_debsums: Checks that binary installed as part of Deb packages have not been modified.
- check_mail: Checks for email in inboxes on the host.
- check_packages: Check that Deb packages are up to date.
- check_reboot: Check whether the host needs to be rebooted due to Deb package upgrades or a need to fsck a disk.
- check_temp: Check the temperature of the CPU.