Summer 2007 Work
This page exists for discussing the work which SOWN will be undertaking over the summer. The majority of the work will be carried out by Paul Dart our ECS Employed intern. This pages has been divided into several sections covering the work required. Feel free to expand on the points to list equipment which should be purchased and the approx costs/suppliers. These will be talked over at the weekly meeting before orders are placed.
SOWN Servers which are needed for any services to exist:
- Network Diagram (Layer 2 and Layer 3)
- The latest proposal was this.
- New Servers with new homes
- VLAN deployment
- Already connected: sown-vpn, sown-zepler, sown-nat (and sown-test)
- Needs (re-)connecting: sown-susu, ford
- Sown CaptivePortal: We are writing out own which will manage both the campus and sown[at]home nodes all in one foul swoop! 1337
Where do we go from here:
- Equipment List (per node)
- Node progress
- Zepler: In process of getting access to roof. Hardware all available. current status - Broken SjH 23:22, 24 May 2008 (BST)
- SUSU: Up and running
- Faraday: Node removed - awaiting completion of refurbishment.
- Chemistry: Intial site survey conducted.
see also: Summer/Firmware
A FON-style system for SOWN for users to share their ADSL connections to SOWN users in areas where campus nodes can't reach:
- Equipment List
- Meraki minis
- Suggested Enhanced Uses:
- IPv6 in progress
- IPv6 Mobility
- Peered with Eduroam
- Multicast (over unicast) with endpoint in ECS.
- Automatic updating of the [map] complete
- Use of 'innovative' lower level technologies such as multicast to provide new application layer features in progress
- Firmware development
- Web-frontend to set up the [at]HOME node, this will be using the same Captive Portal Software as on campus complete