SOWN is effectively a private network for people to use how they like (within reason).
There are currently few reasons why people should use SOWN instead of just the normal internet connection they might have. Additional services could be added to encourage people to use it and make it more of a 'community network'.
- File sharing - There are obvious legal issues here, but otherwise this is the ideal kind of network for sharing university project work across etc.
- Portal - People could add their own content to the portal so we end up with our own intranet type thing? Also a webbased IRC client on this on login might be nice to get people chatting and involved. Obviously there are issues with loading and things... Maybe a forum for people to chat on or similar?
- VoIP - We looked at this, maybe not a great idea but it is another service that we could offer, especially if we can get internal calls on it (with cards to phone system etc)
- Game servers - Colin has looked into OpenTTD, but why not things like UT - does CSLib still exist?/be interested
- Music sharing - iTunes/DAAP shares rather than just files
- Anything else that can happen on LANs!
At the moment the majority of users are individually just using it as an internet connection. If we can provide a load of services on top then it could become a community affair and be more fun for people who aren't interested in just the technical stuff.
|Has reason||This is a current discussion of possible f … |
This is a current discussion of possible features to be added to SOWN. Some of the services mentioned should be considered only in areas that are not contrary to law. SOWN reminds all that read this that it does not condone illicit use of computers, and that doing so on the SOWN network is a breach of our AUP and may lead to suspension or banning of your accountd to suspension or banning of your account +