(Redirected from HomeNode
SOWN[at]HOME Nodes are wireless access points that are loaned out to students and staff to host at their home. To apply to host a node go and make a request. If you want to find out more first read on.
SOWN[at]HOME nodes are configurable so that a host can share as much of their bandwidth/usage as they are happy with. By logging into the admin page for their node, a host can:
- Set how much can be downloaded/uploaded through the node each month
- Set the maximum amount of bandwidth the node can use at any time.
- Firewall the node so only specific ports (e.g. web, email, ssh, etc.) can be used
- Block Bit-torrenting
- Allow specified users to access your home network.
Reasons for Hosting a SOWN[at]HOME Node
- To be part of the community wireless project that is SOWN
- To be able to use SOWN's VoIP service
- To play low bandwidth network games such as OpenTTD
- To provide WiFi on your home network if you only have a wired router
- To get a direct IPv6 connection to the Internet allowing you to access IPv6-only resources (e.g. IPv6 Google)
- To access your own personalized SOWN Portal page (Non-personalized SOWN Portal page)
More information about SOWN[at]HOME Nodes can be found in the FAQ and the
Terms And Conditions or you can ask a question from our contact us page.